Summertime in Texas is here! We all like to find ways to stay cool especially during this time of year. Keep in mind animals are vulnerable to the heat just like us. Here are a couple friendly reminders to keep in mind:
- Animals should not be left alone in a vehicle with no air conditioning and the windows rolled up. Studies have shown that heat spikes to dangerous levels within only minutes.
- Always make sure your pets have access to shade and water when left outside.
- If you take your pet for walks, remember that paved surfaces get REALLY hot. The pads of their paws don't provide enough protection for prolonged walks on paved surfaces in extreme heat.
- Fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes thrive in warm, humid conditions. Take preventative measures to protect your pet. Learn more about mosquito control here.
- Your pet would like to stay cool too; here are some fun ideas to help your furry family members beat the heat when they aren't lounging on the couch enjoying the air conditioning:
- Set up a small kiddie pool with fresh water for your pup to play in.
- Use a sprinkler to water your yard and let your dog play in it.
- Freeze a water bottle for a fun cool toy.
- Find a recipe for "pupsicles" for a tasty treat.
For help with animal control issues, call the Benbrook Police Department's non-emergency number at 817-249-1610.